The unofficial capital of the Urals is the 4th most attractive tourist destination among Russian cities. This is not surprising, since the city really has something to see. About 600 architectural and cultural attractions are located here, of which 43 are monuments of federal significance.
Since 2011, the Red Line route has been helping the traveler, passing through all the main beauties of the city. But even outside it, tourists will be able to see interesting places: parks, museums, temples, estates and theaters.
Today, Yekaterinburg is actively developing and is looking to the future with confidence. This is a modern city with a glorious past - the cultural, economic and industrial center of the promising Ural region.
What to see and where to go in Yekaterinburg?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a brief description.
1. House of Sevastyanov
The palace of the first quarter of the XIX century, designed by A.I. Paduchev in the architectural styles of pseudo-Gothic, Neo-Baroque and Moorish traditions. It was under N.I. Sevastyanov that he acquired modern features, since after the purchase of the building Nikolai Ivanovich decided to engage in its reconstruction. Perhaps today this building is the most striking landmark of Yekaterinburg.
2. The observation deck BC "Vysotsky"
The outdoor area is located on the 52nd floor at an altitude of 168 meters. From here you can see the whole of Yekaterinburg at a glance. It is said that in good weather visibility exceeds 25 km. This place is perfect for romantic dates and wedding photo shoots. Tourists can take an audio guide so that while admiring the cityscape listen to the tour and learn interesting facts from the history of Yekaterinburg.
The dam of the city pond on the Iset River, which the townspeople affectionately call the "Poltinka". It was built in the XVIII century and has since been repeatedly reconstructed. From an architectural point of view, the structure is an ordinary bridge. However, it is of particular importance for residents of Yekaterinburg - dates are set here, skaters and skateboarders gather and newlyweds come to be photographed.
4. Weiner Street
The central avenue of Yekaterinburg, the so-called "Ural Arbat". One of its parts from the street. Kuibyshev to Lenin Ave. is a pedestrian. Weiner Street is one of the oldest in the city; it was laid in the middle of the 18th century. Along it there are merchant mansions, city estates, former trading shops, administrative buildings, most of which were built in the late XIX - first half of the XX centuries.
5. The estate of the Rastorguevs - Kharitonovs
The architectural and park ensemble on the Ascension Hill, built in the XVIII-XIX centuries according to the project of T. Adamini. The complex is built in a classic style, which is distinguished by an abundance of columns, triangular porticoes and arched galleries. The last major reconstruction was carried out in the 1930s, so now most of the buildings are in poor condition.
6. Ganina Yama
Ganina Yama is an abandoned mine near the Four Brothers tract. In the XIX century, iron ore was mined here. Nowadays, only a small quarry and dozens of forested mines are left from the deposits. The place is famous, first of all, because the bodies of Nicholas II and his family were destroyed here after being shot. Today, on the site of the mine is the monastery of the Holy Royal Martyrs, founded in 2000.
7. Yeltsin Center
A cultural and educational center dedicated to the modern history of Russia, as well as the personality of its first president, B. N. Yeltsin. The institution is quite active: there are exhibition rooms, a cinema hall, lecture and conference rooms, a library and a science park. The center was created in 2008, partially with government money, and partially with personal funds of the Yeltsin family.
8. Museum of the History of Yekaterinburg
The collection occupies a historic building of the XIX century, which at different times served as a tenement house, library, noble estate and communal house. The museum opened in 1940. In addition to the main exhibition, tourists are invited to look at the wax figures of Peter the Great, Catherine II, Nicholas II, the Ural manufacturers Demidov and the founders of Yekaterinburg.
9. Yekaterinburg Museum of Fine Arts
The largest art museum in the Urals. Its exposition is exhibited in two branches: in the former railway hospital and in the building of 1986 on the banks of the Iset River. The gallery appeared in the city in 1936, its funds were formed from works transferred from the State Hermitage Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts. Pushkin and the Tretyakov Gallery.
10. Museum of the History of Stone-Cutting and Jewelry
A unique collection consisting of gem minerals, works of jewelers and stone-cutters of the Urals, and products created at the Ural lapidary factory. The museum has Malachite and Bazhov halls, the Emerald Room and several other exhibition galleries in which visitors can see the skillful works of local artists made of colored stone and metal.
11. Sverdlovsk Regional Museum of Local Lore
The museum was founded in 1870 at the initiative of the Ural Society of Natural History Lovers. At first, his collection consisted of four departments: mineralogical, botanical, zoological and paleontological. Later numismatic, ethnographic and anthropological sections were added. Today its funds include more than 700 thousand exhibits.
12. Old Station
The station building was built in 1878 according to the project of P.P. Schreiber. After 1914, the station was used only for serving military echelons. In 2003, after a large-scale reconstruction, a museum was opened here dedicated to the history of the Sverdlovsk Railway from the creation of the first steam locomotive to the modern period. In the square in front of the museum are sculptures depicting the professions of railway workers.
13. Opera and Ballet Theater
An opera company has existed in Yekaterinburg since 1879, but only in 1912 a separate building was built for performances on the site of an old wooden circus, designed for 1200 spectators. At the opening, the opera “Life for the Tsar” by M. Glinka was staged. Since 1914, the theater acquired its own ballet troupe. Overhaul of the building was carried out in the 1980s.
14. Yekaterinburg circus
The circus building is located on the banks of the Iset River. It was erected in the 1980s and at that time was considered one of the best in the USSR, since its construction made it possible to stage complex circus numbers. Since the opening, more than 20 million viewers and many famous collectives of Russia and the world have managed to visit it. Such masters as M. Zapashny, T. Durova, T. Nugzaro, V. Doroveiko worked here.
15. Yekaterinburg Zoo
The city zoo has been operating since 1930. Today, about 400 species of animals live in it, of which 70 are listed in the Red Book. Heat-loving animals live in five pavilions, in the open-air cages are inhabitants of cold latitudes habitual to the harsh climate. In the zoo you can see Amur tigers, bears, birds of prey. Every year, management tries to acquire new animals.
16. The building of the Sverdlovsk City Council
The administrative building, which was built from the end of the XIX century until the 1950s. Before the revolution, a guest house was located here, later - departments of the regional museum. In the 1930s, the building was completed, designing it in the style of constructivism, after which various city organizations were placed in it. Later reconstructions added to its appearance the features of the monumental Stalinist empire.
17. Temple on the Blood
The temple was erected in the 2000s on the spot where in 1918 the Bolsheviks shot Emperor Nicholas II and his family. Previously, there was the mansion of the engineer Ipatiev, where the crowned persons spent the last days of their lives. The church was built in the Russian-Byzantine style, designed by several architects. Currently, it is a pilgrimage center for believers from all over Russia and Orthodox from abroad.
18. Church of the Ascension
One of the oldest temples of the city, which was erected in the late XVIII - early XIX centuries. In its appearance, you can notice the features of baroque, pseudo-Russian style and classicism. The main relic of the church is a particle of the relics of St. Simeon of Verkhotursky. Due to the fact that after the closure of the museum in 1926, the museum did not come to desolation like many other religious buildings. Divine services resumed in 1991.
19. Temple of Big Chrysostom
The fate of the Great Chrysostom repeats the fate of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, since both of them were completely destroyed during the Soviet era and rebuilt after its departure. A modern building on the site of the historical was erected in 2013. Initially, a larger-scale project was conceived, but in the end we got a bell tower temple - a type of religious building, common in the 15th - 16th centuries.
20. Novo-Tikhvin Monastery
The female monastery, which began its history in the XVIII century with the opening of the almshouse. By the beginning of the 20th century, more than 100 nuns and 900 novices lived here. The monastery complex included six churches, workshops, a shelter, a hospital, a bakery, and a library. After the establishment was closed in the 1920s, the monastery fell into decay. Her revival occurred in 1994. At the moment, many buildings are restored and restored.
21. Monument to Tatishchev and de Gennin
Wilhelm de Genin and Vasily Tatishchev are the founders of Yekaterinburg. They initiated the construction of a metallurgical plant, from which a whole city later grew. The monument was erected in 1998 on Labor Square. The author of the project was the Moscow sculptor P.P. Chusovitin. The bronze composition was made at the Uralmash plant and installed on a powerful pedestal.
22. Keyboard monument
Modern art object (land art sculpture), made in 2005 by A. Vyatkin. Despite the fact that the attraction was never recognized as an official monument, it is included in all unofficial guides in Yekaterinburg and is a must for many visitors to the city. From here begins the famous tourist route "Red Line".
23. Shartashsky stone tents
Granite formations near Lake Shartash, located in the city limits. Here, townspeople love to relax, ride bicycles and skis, and have picnics in fine weather. Before the October Revolution, secret meetings of the Ural Bolsheviks were held here under the leadership of J. M. Sverdlov. The height of the formations is from 5 to 18 meters. They look like flat boulders piled on top of each other.
24. Yekaterinburg Arboretum
The arboretum consists of two separate parks, which are located on the streets of March 8 and Pervomaiskaya. The second was created in 1932 as a gardening research station, the first appeared in 1948. Several hundred species from temperate and sharply continental climates grow on their territory. There are also nurseries, greenhouses and greenhouses for plants accustomed to the sun and heat.
25. Kharitonovsky garden
An English-style landscape park located around the Rastorguev-Kharitonov estate. The garden was broken in 1826 at the request of the owners. In the center is an artificial pond with an island, on which a rotunda gazebo rises. It should be noted that this architectural structure appeared in the park only in the 1930s during the reconstruction of the estate. Currently, the park is looked after by volunteers.
Prior to the construction of the Iset tower, this 188-meter skyscraper was considered the tallest building in Yekaterinburg. There is an observation deck on the 52nd floor of the tower, from where the surroundings are clearly visible - 25 kilometers ahead. Visitors can take an audio guide and, looking at the city, listen to a story about its history. On the roof there are 4 enclosed cabins for those who wish to dine at a height. The building also houses the V. Vysotsky Museum, created by a private collector. Here you can take a picture with wax Vladimir Semenovich, see the Mercedes 350 W 116, which Vysotsky rode on, and other personal belongings of the bard and Marina Vlady. For visitors who bought a ticket to the observation deck, a visit to the museum is free.
Address: st. Malysheva, 51.
Museum: Wednesday - Saturday from 11:00 to 19:00, Sunday - from 11:00 to 18:00, Monday, Tuesday - days off. For excursions you need to book in advance by phone. 7 (343) 378-41-11 or email. mail: [email protected] Observation deck: Monday - Friday from 12:00 to 22:00, Saturday, Sunday - from 10:00 to 22:00.
Sverdlovsk film studio
Since Soviet times, its own film studio has been successfully operating in Yekaterinburg. Films such as “Meet at the Fountain”, “Special Forces”, “Northern Lights”, “Admiral” and other films, as well as cartoons and series were shot here. Today, the film studio is open to the public. Excursion participants can hear a story about the work of a film studio, see the details, try their hand at dubbing films and cartoons. On the territory of the film studio there is an exhibition hall where interesting multimedia exhibitions are held, for example, “Living Canvases”.
Address: Lenin Avenue, 50g.
Work mode: Monday - Saturday - from 10:00 to 18:00, Sunday - day off.
A classic Russian manor with a park, an architectural monument of federal significance, is located on a hill. Built in the first half of the 19th century in the style of classicism. One of the owners of the house, the merchant Lev Rastorguev, was an old believer and conducted secret rites. There are legends that long underground passages were preserved in the estate, in which the Old Believers hid. Now in the building is the Palace of Children and Youth Creativity, New Year trees are held.
Address: st. Karl Liebknecht, 44.
Museum of the History of Science and Technology of the Sverdlovsk Railway
The museum is located in the restored building of the first railway station of Yekaterinburg, not far from the modern station. Visitors will get acquainted with the history of the invention of the first steam locomotive and domestic railways. But the most interesting is the reduced layout of the railroad, on which trains are allowed. The spectacle will captivate both adults and children. Near the museum are amusing sculptures depicting the head of the station, passengers, railway workers and a conductor.
Museum of the Sverdlovsk Railway
Address: st. Station, 14.
Work mode: daily from 10:00 to 17:00, Sunday is a day off.
Museum of History and Archeology of the Urals
Its main attraction is the Big Shigirsky idol, which is considered the most ancient cult sculpture made of wood. The idol was found by gold prospectors in peat deposits near Yekaterinburg in the late 19th century. The sculpture is made of larch and covered with various drawings, the significance of which scientists are still arguing about. The idol was made in the Mesolithic era, in the 9th millennium BC. In addition, in the museum you can learn about the development of local history in the region, as well as visit the exposition dedicated to the royal family.
Address: Lenin Ave. 69/10.
Work mode: Wednesday, Friday - from 10:00 to 17:00, Thursday - from 11:00 to 19:00, Saturday, Sunday - from 11:00 to 18:00 (ticket office until 17:00). Monday is a day off.
Central square of the city
The area of 1905 is the central and oldest square in Yekaterinburg. Here is one of the most recognizable buildings - the city administration. This is a monument of architecture in the neoclassicism style (after reconstruction). Not to photograph the building of the city administration with its spire, clocks and bas-reliefs - how not to visit Yekaterinburg.By the way, if you look closely at the entrance, you will have a clear association with the series "Santa Barbara."
Plotinka is the main place for folk festivals in Yekaterinburg. The city pond was created in 1723 during the construction of the first Yekaterinburg plant. Then the embankment appeared. Here you can go boating or listen to the songs of local musicians in the passage, admiring the portraits of Viktor Tsoi, admire the fountains. In any case, you will not succeed in passing and driving past Plotinka, even if you try very hard. Store at least a couple of hours to have time to evaluate everything. By the way, Plotinka and the underpass this year have immortalized The Prodigy in their video.
Monument to Tatishchev and De Gennin
You don’t have to go far. Here, in the center, it makes sense to take a picture near the water tower in the Historical Square and near the monument to Tatishchev and De Gennin - the founders of Yekaterinburg. The monument appeared relatively recently, in 1998, in honor of the 275th anniversary of the city. Among the locals, an unofficial name was assigned to the monument - a monument to Beavis and Butt-head.
For tourists coming to Yekaterinburg, we would still recommend taking the time and going to the opera house. It is indicative, perhaps, that residents of the city try to get out as often as possible to watch opera or ballet. Going to the "opera" several times a year is considered good form. If you are not a big fan of art, then just take a walk to the theater - the building itself is beautiful and serves as one of the symbols of Yekaterinburg.
Monument to Vladimir Vysotsky and the observation deck of BC "Vysotsky"
To see the whole city from a bird's eye view is a must-have program for an exemplary tourist. An open observation deck is located on the 52nd floor of the Vysotsky Business Center. And going down to the first floor, you can go to the Vladimir Vysotsky Museum. The exposition was based on the personal belongings of the poet, the hotel room in which he lived while on tour in Sverdlovsk was completely restored. The Yekaterinburg Museum presents a number of exhibits that are not found anywhere else in the world. Next to the Vysotsky Business Center, near the Antey shopping and entertainment center, there is a monument to Vladimir Vysotsky and Marina Vlady. Despite the fact that they installed it relatively recently, the monument is very popular among local residents and tourists.
City of Chekists
Yekaterinburg is considered the largest center of constructivist architecture. One of the most important monuments of constructivism remains the town of Chekists - a mysterious place in the city center. The quarter of residential buildings began to grow in the early 30s of the XX century. According to legend, if you look at the Chekist Town from above, you can see the sickle and hammer. Sickle is a semicircular building of Iset Hotel, Hammer is a building of the Museum of Local Lore with an annex.
To visit the “White Tower” you have to leave the city center and go down the subway (by the way, there is also something to see here), drive to the Uralmash microdistrict - here is the former water tower of the UZTM plant, built in 1929-31 according to the project of Moses Reisher .
The White Tower is recognized as an avant-garde architectural monument. For a long time it was abandoned, now active work is underway to restore it, guided tours and cultural events are held.
Beaches of Yekaterinburg
If you decide to sunbathe in Yekaterinburg (which, of course, depends on the weather), then you should pay attention to Lake Shartash. Here you can relax in two ways: cheaply and angrily and comfortably. Most importantly, the Ministry of Emergency Situations recognized Shartash as suitable for swimming. An important plus is that you don’t have to travel outside the city.
The lake is located within the city. Neither sunbeds nor umbrellas are provided here. Therefore, you must go with your "accessories."
How to get there: you can get to Shartash by buses No. 13k, 25, 61, by trams No. 8, 13, 15, 23, 32.
The second option is to relax in the SanDali Beach Club. It is located on the south coast of Shartash. On site there is a volleyball court and a play area for children. There are also showers, a luggage room for storing things, and you can rent beach equipment: sunbeds, umbrellas, mattresses, towels. Entrance to the beach complex is free. Rent a chaise lounge - 200 rubles.
SanDali Address: 13A Sands Street.
Where to eat
You can have a cheap lunch in the very center of the city: in the Iset hotel building (by the way, this is also a monument of constructivism) there is the Factory Kitchen facility. It opened on the site of the cult "Ural dumplings." The average bill for the center of Yekaterinburg is quite democratic here - 200 rubles.
City Administration Building
- Address: Lenin Avenue, 24A. Metro station "Area of 1905".
The large building in a pompous palace style, considered one of the symbols of the city, has a long history. Until 1917, the mansion, erected at the end of the 19th century, was occupied by the Gostiny Dvor, which, after the Revolution, vacated premises for the expositions of the local history museum. In 1930, it was decided to carry out a general reconstruction in the style of constructivism, the field of which the building received an additional three floors. After another 17 years, its facades were decorated with columns and decor from granite slabs. The main tower with a tall spire crowned with a ruby star was built in 1954. The frontons of the palace, which is an excellent example of the Stalinist empire and which became the architectural dominant of the central square of Yekaterinburg, are decorated with magnificent sculptures, and the facades - wonderful high reliefs.
Monument to de Gennin and Tatishchev
- Address: Labor Area. Stop of transport "Labor Area".
The monument to these remarkable people was solemnly opened in Yekaterinburg only during the celebration of its 275th anniversary in 1998. In the Soviet period of Sverdlovsk, it was not customary to recall that if it were not for the perseverance they showed almost 300 years ago, the present flourishing city would not exist . It was the brilliant politician Vasily Tatishchev and the wonderful military engineer Georg de Gennin who were able to “push through” the decision to establish a settlement and a metallurgical plant on the banks of the Iset River, despite the opposition of the powerful clan of the Demidov merchants. The first of them presented to the emperor the economic benefits of the project, and the second described its military-strategic advantages. Ironically, the bronze statues that did not feel sympathy with each other during the life of statesmen were on the same pedestal.
- Address: st. Boris Yeltsin, 6. Stop transport "Street Yeltsin."
The ultramodern skyscraper, the crown spiers of which rise 218.8 m above the ground, should be considered perhaps the main urban symbol of Yekaterinburg. The glass and concrete tower consists of 52 above ground and 4 underground floors, with an area of internal premises of almost 81 thousand m². On four high-speed elevators you can reach 50 floors in just 10 seconds. In the lower three levels of the building are commercial establishments, and in the remaining residential apartments. The tower became the second already built of five skyscrapers, the construction of which is provided for by the architectural concept of the Ekaterinburg City project.
Museum of Stone Cutting
- Schedule: from Wednesday to Sunday, from 11:00 to 18:00, on Thursday from 12:00 to 20:00.
- Ticket price: adult 200 p., Student 100 p., Children's 50 p.
- Phone: +7 343 371-24-62.
- Website: http://www.mikji.ru
- Address: Lenin Avenue, 37. Bus stop “Labor Square”.
Expositions of the unique museum will not leave anyone indifferent. The collection of minerals includes tens of thousands of semiprecious and precious stones, including garnets, emeralds, alexandrites, and gold nuggets. A large section tells the story of stone cutting in the Urals. Among the exhibits you will see the unique creations of the masters creating delightful masterpieces from malachite, marble, jasper. Especially popular is the hall in which jewelry of stunningly fine work is demonstrated. A mass of vivid impressions is guaranteed to museum visitors.
- Schedule: daily, except Monday. The submission starts on weekdays at 18:00, Saturday 16:00, Sunday at 12:00.
- Ticket price: from 800 r. up to 1800 p., children under 5 years old are free.
- Phone: +7 343 257-27-83.
- Website: http://www.circus-ekaterinburg.ru
- Address: st. March 8, 43. Geologicheskaya metro station.
Since 1933, the city circus troupe gave performances in a wooden building on the street. Kuibyshev. However, in 1976 it was almost completely burned down. In 1980, artists and citizens received a wonderful gift. The futuristic building constructed by the architects J. Schwartzbreim and M. Korobov was not only the most popular entertainment center, but also one of the architectural symbols of the then Sverdlovsk. An elegant arched structure rises above the inner 26-meter main dome of the building, the highest point of which is 50 meters above the ground. The interior of the circus is decorated with Ural stones, and the auditorium has excellent acoustics. Colorful performances almost always collect full houses.
Wonderland Park "Galileo"
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 20:00.
- Ticket price: adult 400 rubles, children's 300 rubles.
- Phone: +7 343 206-06-07
- Website: http://www.ekb.galileopark.ru
- Address: Lenin Avenue, 50Zh. Stop of transport "Cinema House".
From visiting a center with unique attractions, the child will be delighted! He is waiting for a fun walk through the maze, the walls of which are mounted curved mirrors. Ames’s room will refute the usual notions of space, revealing the secrets of optics. Part of the rides in a playful way talks about the physical laws of the world. Many exhibits are interactive. The park guarantees the kids not only a fun pastime, but also a lot of useful knowledge given in a playful way. Special programs are offered to primary school students, adolescents, youth and visitors over 33 years of age.
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 19:00 on weekdays, from 10:00 to 20:00 on weekends.
- Ticket price: adult 270 rubles, children 90 rubles.
- Phone: +7 343 215-98-04.
- Website: http: //www.zoo.ekaterinburg.rf
- Address: st. Mamina-Sibiryaka, 189. Metro station "Geological".
The oldest of the country's zoos that exist beyond the Urals was founded in 1930. The authorities of Sverdlovsk, and then Yekaterinburg, repeatedly planned to move it from the city center, however, everything was limited to the reconstruction of the existing complex of buildings, and the construction of several new pavilions on the occupied territory, in the period from 1994 to 1998. Despite the lack of space, employees of the institution manage to create good conditions for keeping more than 1000 animals, birds, reptiles. During the tour you will see tigers and lions, ocelot, various monkeys, eagles, white-headed vultures, reptiles, reptiles. The pride of the zoo collection is the hippo and aardvark.
Church of the Ascension
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: +7 343 371-67-29.
- Website: http://www.voznesenka.cerkov.ru
- Address: st. Klara Zetkin, 11. Stop transport "Philharmonic".
The magnificent temple is considered one of the oldest religious buildings in the city. The lighting ceremony in the church, the construction of which lasted almost 26 years, was performed in 1818. Subsequently, two additional aisles were added to the main building. The temple, on the exterior of which traces of classicism and baroque are traced, looks surprisingly lightweight, which is facilitated by the openwork decor and the sky-blue color of the facade. Believers from many cities of the country come here specially to venerate the particles of the relics of St. Simeon of Verkhotursky, stored in the relics of the church.
Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 21:00.
- Phone: +7 343 251-89-98.
- Address: st. Roses Luxemburg, 57. Stop of the Kuibyshev transport.
The temple, which has been built for more than 20 years, was originally supposed to be used for the needs of the large Old Believer community of the city. However, at the beginning of the second third of the XIX century. a significant part of it moved to the position of single-faith, so the consecration of the cathedral in 1839 was carried out according to the canons of traditional Orthodoxy. The church attracts with its asymmetric architecture. In its exterior, the influence of the Byzantine style is felt, as evidenced by the antique portico, supported by magnificent columns and impressive size drum with a massive gilded dome. In Soviet times, the building housed the workshops of a weaving factory, and then a cinema. The cathedral was returned to the bosom of the church in the fall of 2004.
Temple of Seraphim of Sarov
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: +7 343 212-85-40.
- Website: http://www.prihodserafima.ru
- Address: st. Yasnaya, 3. Stop of transport "Sports Palace".
An elegant red-brick church with five gilded domes in the name of St. Seraphim of Sarov, especially revered in Russia, appeared recently in the city. Its domes were solemnly consecrated in 2007. The main building, a 32-meter-high belfry and a fence with gates decorated with images of the Holy One, look surprisingly elegant. The interiors of the temple are decorated with colorful paintings in the Novgorod style, in which floral ornaments predominate. Marble steps lead to the luxurious iconostasis.
The sights of Yekaterinburg, photos and descriptions of which are presented in the article, are just a few of what a traveler has to see in the city. Holidays spent in the capital of the Urals will bring many great impressions.
1. Ganina pit
A place used for mining iron ore, named after the founder of the mine, Gabriel, or simply Gani, is a landmark in Yekaterinburg, which every tourist who wants to get in touch with history must visit. It was here that the remains of the last representatives of the imperial family of the Romanovs, who once ruled a huge country, found their rest. Since the burial of the members of the royal family, Ganina, the pit is considered a holy place, and 7 churches erected here and the Poklonnaya Cross, which is attributed to miraculous properties, are known objects of religious worship.
2. The Royal Bridge
To receive the guests of honor should be prepared especially carefully, as did the residents of Yekaterinburg, waiting for the visit of Emperor Alexander in 1824. In honor of the eminent visitor, the avenue was opened, and an elegant wooden bridge was built.
Unfortunately, to this day, the original example of the genius of local masters has not been preserved. However, the stone bridge erected at the end of the 19th century, which, like its predecessor, bore the name of Tsarskoye, is popular with tourists and residents of the city. From the sights of Yekaterinburg, a wonderful view of the Iset River opens, and against the background of openwork railings, wonderful photos are obtained.
3. The house of the chief mountain chief
Even children, thanks to the tales of Bazhenov, know that the Urals is a mining region. Therefore, the presence among the attractions of the capital of the House of the Mountain Chief does not surprise anyone. In addition, the structure looks like a real palace, in stark contrast to the surrounding modern buildings and skyscrapers. The monument, executed in the style of classicism, is an architectural object of federal significance and invariably attracts history buffs.
6. Water tower
A small building, located near the dam, a hundred years ago played an important role: the water tower was intended to serve the railway workshops. Today it houses a museum where various devices that were used in production several centuries ago are presented. The main rule of typical museums - “do not touch your hands” - is not honored here. Anyone can try to drill a piece of wood using a hand-held machine tool or estimate the weight of an old iron iron.
7. Mill Borchaninova-Chervushina
The building reminiscent of an old castle is not really the residence of a nobleman, but a real mill. Its founder, who lived in the early 20th century, planned to create the largest flour milling enterprise.However, unlike modern residents of Yekaterinburg and city guests, the creator did not see his brainchild.
The most amazing thing is that until 2006 the old building was used for its intended purpose: the mechanism installed here continued to produce large quantities of flour. But in recent years, the building is in demand not among traders, but among tourists.
8. The Dam
The dam established on the Iset River is considered to be the source of the city: it was only thanks to its construction that it became possible to build a city that is considered to be a real star of the Urals. Over time, an area formed around the dam, considered the center of the capital of the Sverdlovsk region, which locals call “Plotinka”.
Today, the sights of Yekaterinburg are not one destination. It is not only a local historical monument and a structure that restrains water flows. In the Plotinki district, various events and mass festivities are held, which are a favorite pastime of citizens and visitors.
9. Old Station
You can learn about the history of the development of railway business, see sculptures representing various professions in this industry by visiting the beautiful building of the Old Station, considered one of the most striking sights of Yekaterinburg.
The station was used as a terminal station until the beginning of the 20th century. Then a more modern building was erected, and the old building gradually turned into a tourist attraction, until in 2003 it became a real museum.
10. Kharitonovsky garden
The most beautiful place in Yekaterinburg, to the base of which the merchant Rastorguev, who once lived in the city, had a hand in, is considered Kharitonovsky Garden. The remains of the buildings that were used by its first visitors, the most famous of which is the grotto, are preserved in the pair.
The bulk pond, ancient trees and shady alleys allow you to relax from the noisy city and touch not only nature, but also the events of previous eras. And although most of the buildings, such as the rotunda, are built these days, the spirit of antiquity still walks along the paths of the Kharitonov Garden.
Write what you think about the article “Sights of Yekaterinburg - TOP 30”