The first written mention of the city dates back to 1065. source not specified 3205 days
The name of the city means "city on a hill."
From 1772 to 1920 (with a break in 1807-1815) and in 1940-1945, the German name was Kulm (Culm).
The appearance and development of Kulm law is connected with the city.
Well preserved medieval city walls with a length of 2270 meters (XIII-XIV centuries, reconstructed in the XVI century). 17 fortress towers have survived, some are ruins. The most famous are the Grudziad Gate (XIII century), the oldest Merseburg Gate, open for tourists to the Maiden Tower (in the alley on May 3rd) and the Powder Tower (end of the XIII century). On the Market Square is one of the most beautiful Polish Renaissance town halls, built in 1567-1572 on the site of the old Gothic tower of the 13th century.
In the city there is a female Cisterian-Benedictine monastery, a Gothic chapel of St. Martin, a church of the Holy Spirit of the 13th century, a Franciscan church of St. James and Nicholas, rebuilt in the 19th century in neo-Gothic style, a neo-Romanesque garrison church of the Czestochowa Mother of God of the 19th century, a Dominican church of St. Peter and , Cathedral of the Assumption Cathedral of the XIII century, the oldest in Pomerania, which became a model during the construction of the Konigsberg Cathedral and the cemetery of Soviet soldiers, on which 1284 dead soldiers rest officers.